I am a big fan of QR Codes. They are very useful and can easily take a consumer from static print media to dynamic online content. But, do they always have to be black and white? Can you not create colorful QR Codes?
Yes, you can.
The standard black-and-white QR Codes never match with the graphic designs of the brand. To do away with this problem, we created a powerful QR Code designer that allows you to create visually appealing QR Codes that match your brand colors and designs.
Given below is a step-by-step guide to create colorful QR Codes using the Scanova QR Code Generator.
Generating a QR Code
Before we jump into the designing tool, here is a quick recap of how to generate a QR Code.
- Create an account with Scanova to be able to save your QR Codes for future editing. Once you have signed up, log in.
- Once you are logged in, you will see the Scanova dashboard. Click on the New QR Code button. You can also click on QR Code Generator from the left navigation panel.
- You will be redirected to the QR Code Generator. Choose the QR Code that you would like to create from the list of 23 QR Code categories. For this tutorial, we will take the most common QR Code category – Website QR Code. This is used to direct users to a specific website. Click on the See a Webpage option.
- In the page that opens, enter the address of the website you want your audience to see in the URL field and click on Create my QR Code
- A Name your QR Code window will open
- In this modal, choose the Campaign under which you want to list this QR Code and give the QR Code a Name
- It is recommended that you keep the Track number of scans field checked. This will ensure that a trackable QR Code is created allowing you to edit the website address in the future and track number of scans
- Once you have completed all the fields, click on Save
- You will be redirected to the Choose Design and Download QR Code page. Here you are given an option to choose between three design options
- Click on the Customize option under the Standard QR Code or the Fancy with Custom Logo QR Code. You will be directed to the designing tool
Templates is the quickest way to create a colorful QR Code.
With Scanova, you have the option of choosing from your saved QR Code designs or standard QR Code designs created by Scanova. Clicking on a template will copy the design to your current QR Code.
Eyes are the concentric squares at the edges of the QR Code. You can easily edit the color and pattern of the eyes by clicking on the button:
Color: To change the color of the eyes, choose the type of eye and specify the color (from the colorpicker or by specifying the HEX code).
Pattern: You can also change the eye pattern by simply clicking on one of the many eye pattern options.
Like eyes, the color and pattern of the data matrix can also be edited. Click on the Data button to view editing options.
Color: The data matrix can be either given solid coloring or gradient coloring. To give the data a solid coloring choose the first coloring option as highlighted in the image below:
To give the data a gradient coloring, choosing from one of the four options as specified in the image below:
Pattern: To edit the pattern of the data matrix, simply click on one of the many pattern options:
With Scanova, you can also add a background color to your QR Code. Click on the Background button to view the editing options:
Color: Simply specify the color to add the background.
One of the unique features of this design tool is to be able to add a logo to the QR Code. Click on the Logo button to view the editing options.
You will see the following logo options:
- Click on the Upload Logo to update the logo image from your computer.
- Increase the error correction from the default Medium (M) to High (H) or Very High (V)to maintain scannability.
- Keep the Excavate option checked. This will remove the data matrix behind the logo.
- Increase or decrease the size of the logo with this option
- Rotate the logo clockwise or counter-clockwise with this option
- Change the color of the logo. Note that this option is only valid when the uploaded image is in SVG format
If you have completed the design of your QR Code and would like to save the design as a template, click on the Save Design to My Templates button as shown:
Alternatively, if you are not happy with your design and want to start over, click on the Clear Design icon.
Once you have finalized the design, click on the Update button below the preview to save and update your QR Code. Always test the QR Code before you proceed to download. Once you have thoroughly tested the QR Code with a smartphone scanning application, click on Download Options and open Advanced Export.
The Advanced Export window will open with the following options:
- Specify the format of the image. Free account users can only download the image in raster format (PNG, JPEG) whereas Advanced and Premium subscribers can download the image in vector format as well (PDF, EPS, SVG, PS)
- Specify the size of the image (Small – XXXL)
- Specify the Transparency of the QR Code image. If you check this option, then all background will be removed from the image
- Specify the level of Error Correction in the QR Code
Once all fields have been specified as per your requirements, click in ‘Export’ to download your QR Code.
If you need to use the same QR Code again but would like to update its design, you can do this via the Campaign Manager.
Go to the Campaign Manager:
A list of all campaigns will open. Choose the Campaign in which you had added the QR Code. In this campaign, find by name the QR Code that you want to edit. You will be redirected to the QR Code Generator where you will have the option to edit the QR Code URL and design.
That’s it. You are all set. If you still have questions, ask in the comments section below.
Create a Colorful QR Code now