If your friends are on WeChat (or Wēixìn in China), then you probably noticed that many of them share colorful barcodes on Facebook or Twitter (Renren or Sina Weibo if you are in China). You have always wondered what these square-shaped barcodes are and if you are reading this, you are finally looking for some answers.
The square-shaped colorful barcodes are WeChat QR Codes. A QR Code is a 2D barcode that contains information which can be read by a smartphone. WeChat uses QR Codes to allow users to easily connect with each other without the need to save them as a contact first. Note that this is mandatory in WhatsApp.
In this quick guide, we will answer all your queries about working with QR Codes within WeChat.
1. Find your own WeChat QR Code
When you sign up for an account with the app, WeChat will create a QR Code for your account. Here is how to find it:
1. Go to the ‘Me’ tab of your WeChat App
2. Click on the little QR Code icon next to your name
3. Now Click on the ‘My QR Code’ field to reveal your own QR Code
For example, the image below is my personal WeChat QR Code. Feel free to add me (we’ll soon find out how) and say Hello.
4. If you click on the ‘More Options’ icon on the top right corner (if you are an iPhone user), you will get options to share, edit design, and save the QR Code.
Now you know why your friends have been sharing their WeChat QR Codes on Facebook.
2. Add People as Contacts on WeChat using QR Codes
WeChat QR Codes provide a neat way of adding people to your account in a secure way. Unlike WhatsApp, it is not mandatory to add a phone number and you can immediately add people (or brands) and start chatting with them.
Here is how you can add people:
1. Go to the ‘Discover’ tab of the app
2. Click on the ‘Scan QR Code’ option
3. Scan the QR Code either from your friends phone or the image shared by him (or her). He will directly be added to your account and you can start texting immediately. Its that easy. Note that you will still not have access to his phone number, making this connection secure.
3. Use WeChat QR Code to Download App
WeChat also uses a QR Code to allow users to download their app.
Note how a single QR Code can identify your device and redirect you to the right App Store. Such a QR Code is called an App Store QR Code. If you are a mobile app developer, you can use such a QR Code to allow users to easily download your app. You can use the online QR Code Generator Scanova to create one.
In addition to WeChat QR Codes that help users connect easily, WeChat also launched WeChat Web QR Codes. These QR Codes allow WeChat users access their WeChat chats on desktop.
Also see the list of messaging apps that offer their users profile QR Codes.
That’s all you need to know on WeChat QR Codes.
Still have questions on WeChat QR Codes? Ask in the comments section below.