You have decided to use a QR Code on one of your creatives. But first of all let’s be honest. The standard black-and-white QR Code is plain and therefore doesn’t really go with your branding. They are also generic, impersonal, and boring. As a point-of-engagement, your QR Code should differentiate itself to attract the attention of your target customer. What you need is a QR Code with logo. This is a customized QR Code that merges well with your brand graphics.
A QR Code with background image or a logo in the centre will also help you get more scans. Here are the basic elements of a QR Code that can be designed:
Here is what you need to:
1. Edit the pattern of the eyes and data modules
2. Add brand colors to the eyes and data modules
3. Add brand logo either in the centre of the QR Code or as a background image
You can do this by using an online QR Code generator with logo designing capabilities.
A. Types of QR Code with Logo Designs
Firstly, different QR Code generators offer different QR Code designing capabilities and other QR Code management features. However, most high-quality QR Code designs with logo fall in two categories:
a. QR Code with Logo in Centre
This is the most popular type of QR Code design—adding the logo in the centre of the QR Code. See examples below:
The data modules in the centre of the QR Code have been removed to accommodate the logo. But doesn’t that sort of damage the QR Code? How is it still scannable? The QR Code remains scannable because of an important characteristic—error correction. Error Correction capabilities in a QR Code allow the QR Code to remain scannable even if it is damaged upto 30%. The level of damage depends on the level of error correction applied during the generation of the QR Code—L (7%), M (14%), H (21%), and V (30%). Note that higher the error correction level, higher will be the number of rows and columns of data modules.
If you are adding a logo to a QR Code, then ensure that the Error Correction is at least H or V.
b. QR Code with Background Image
The other trendy way of designing a QR Code is to add a background image. See examples below:
These designs work well when you need a QR Code merged with the creative and not as a standalone element. In this design, no error is introduced so error correction level can be kept as L or M. This means that the QR Code can have relatively lesser number of modules. However, the downside is that the QR Code elements will always be black-and-white as background image will be colored. This means that you can merge the QR Code but not use brand colors.
B. Choose QR Code Generator with Logo Designing Capabilities
There are many online QR Code generators that claim to offer free QR Codes. However, only few offer high-quality QR Code designing capabilities. Here is a quick comparison:
As Scanova QR Code Generator offers both designing options—we will be using Scanova in our how-to guide below.
C. How to Design QR Code with Logo or Background Image
1. Go to Scanova QR Code Generator
2. First choose the type of QR Code you want to create—Website URL, Social Media, Product Description, Vcard Profile, App Store, etc.
For example, if you want your target audience to go to your website, choose Website URL.
3. On the page that loads, enter the URL of your website and click on Create QR Code
4. The QR Code will be generated and you will see three design options—Custom with Logo, Custom with Background Image, and Standard Black-and-White. You can test these QR Codes by scanning them using a QR Code reader application on your mobile phone.
a. Creating QR Code Design with Logo in the Center
To add logo in the centre of the QR Code, click on Customize & Download button under the the first design . You will be redirected to the designing tool where you can add logo, and edit colors, patterns, and background color.
1. By default, you will be taken to the Logo tab.
Here are the options of this tab:
– Add New Image: Click here to upload the PNG, JPEG or SVG image of your logo
– Size: Increase or decrease the size of your logo
– Rotate: Rotate your logo clockwise or anti-clockwise
– Remove Blocks Around Logo: Check this option as Yes to remove data blocks behind and around the logo
– Error Correction: To maintain scannability, choose a higher error correction. Recommended is High (H) or Very High (V)
2. In the other tabs—Eyes and Data—you can edit the patterns and colors of the eye and data modules
3. When you have finalized the design, Click on Download. Note that you will need to sign up for a 14-day Free Trial to be able to download your QR Code.
4. Once you are logged in, you will be able to download the QR Code image file in the size and format you need—PNG, JPG, SVG, EPS, PS, and PDF. Download a vector file (SVG, EPS) if you are planning to add a high-resolution QR Code on print material.
5. Tip: Always scan the QR Code using a QR Code scanner application to test output before mass-printing on campaign material.
b. Creating QR Code Design with Background Image/Logo
1. Say need to design the QR Code by adding a background image. In that case, click on Customize & Design from the second design option on the Design & Download page.
2. The designing tool will open. In the Image tab, click on Add New Image to add your background logo image to the canvas.
3. Position and resize your QR Code on the image as per your requirements.
4. Click on Preview to see the design of your QR Code. Click on Reposition to edit the position and size.
5. Once you have finalized the design, click on Download once you have finalised your design. Note that you will need to sign up for a 14-day Free Trial account to be able to download your code.
6. Once you are logged in, you will be able to download the QR Code image in PNG or JPG format. This is because the background image uploaded by you was in PNG or JPG. The size of the download will also be equal to the size of the background image uploaded.
That’s all you need to know on how to design a QR Code with logo. This is the best way to ensure that you get maximum scans for your QR Code campaigns. If you still have questions, feel free to ask in the comments sections below.
Note that it is always better to opt for a dynamic QR Code while making the QR Code. A dynamic QR Code is trackable as well as editable. Hence, it will allow you to change the logo (custom logo QR Code) or the background image (custom background QR Code) whenever you want.
Create QR Code with Logo or Background Image