Brittany Forks, a designer at Twitter, announced the launch of Twitter QR Codes on Nov 16, 2016. Via a tweet.
How a Twitter QR Code works?
Just like WeChat and Snapchat, every Twitter profile will now have a unique QR Code.
You can find this QR Code in your Twitter app:
1. Open Twitter app on your iOS or Android smartphone
2. Go to profile
3. Click on the gear icon and choose ‘QR Code’ from the list that opens
4. Click on the Share icon on top right corner and share it with friends
You will also notice a ‘Open Scanner’ button just below the QR Code. Click on this if you want to scan a Twitter QR Code of someone you want to follow.
Why Twitter QR Code?
You might think what is the point of a Twitter QR Code? The Follow button on a profile worked well enough.
This is why—a profile QR Code makes it easy for people to reach your profile.
For example, if you are a business, you can add this QR Code to your print promotional material. This will give your audience an easy option to follow you. They will not have to search or type your handle.
Even the popular messaging app Whatsapp has added this feature for group chats.
Features of the Twitter QR Code
- You’ll notice that Twitter is using a designer-version of the Standard QR Code. This means that this QR Code is scannable will any QR Code scanner (and the Twitter app ofcourse). Note that this is not the case with Snapchat and Facebook Messenger Codes
- The color of the QR Code changes every time you open the QR Code
- There is a Twitter logo on the bottom-right corner of the QR Code
- Your profile picture will appear in the center of the QR Code
How to customize the design of your Twitter QR Code?
Yes, that’s right. You can customize the design of your Twitter QR Code. All you need is your profile link and an online QR Code designer.
Here is what you need to do:
1. Copy your profile link for example: http://twitter.com/GGarg88
2. Go to Scanova, an online QR Code generator and designer
3. Add the link address in the form field and click on Create QR Code
4. You will get three design options to choose from. You can customize the design as per your needs
5. Ensure that the QR Code you create is static. This ensures that the Twitter scanner will be able to decode the QR Code
6. Note that you will need to sign-up for a 14-day free trial to download the QR Code. But you will not need a subscription as this is a simple static QR Code
That’s all there is to know about Twitter QR Codes. Still have a question? Ask in the comments below.
Like this article? Follow me on Twitter then 🙂