Say you’re running a print media campaign wherein you intend to promote a video to market your products or services. Or you want to share a video privately amongst a group of people.
How will you do it?
A. How to share a video
There are two common ways to share a video via print media promotions.
One way is by mentioning the name of the video on your flyers, banners, brochures, etc. But to watch the video here, your audience has to type its name, find the exact video, and then watch it.
To overcome this issue, the second method involves adding the link to the video. As people enter it in their phone’s browser, they will be directed to watch the exact video.
Of course, you will add an instruction (call-to-action statement) that tells your audience what they need to do. It could be anything such as—Visit here to see the video online. Or Watch the trailer here.
But the problem is—a link is not actionable alone. That means to see your video, people will have to pull out their smartphones, open their browser, tediously type the entire link, and finally watch the video.
But both of these ways sound like quite long processes, don’t they? Well, they actually are. They’ll need users to put both time and effort. And to be honest, not many people will bother doing that.
So you must make it easier for them to take action. How?
Well, you can use a QR Code to do it for you. A QR Code is a 2D barcode that, just like a barcode, stores alphanumeric information. But unlike a barcode, it doesn’t store limited information. It can store up to 7,089 characters.
Hence, QR Codes are also called advanced level barcodes. You would’ve already seen them being used for marketing and payments. Similarly, they can also be used to share videos. And we call it—a Video QR Code.
B. What is a Video QR Code
A Video QR Code, when scanned, takes the end-users to watch the encoded video online. Hence, users do not need to manually type the video’s name or link anymore.
All that they need to do is—open their smartphones and scan the QR Code. It’s as easy as clicking a picture.
And when taking action becomes easier, your conversion rate also improves. You know, the easier the process, the better it is.
C. What are the possible use cases of a Video QR Code
You can use a Video QR Code whenever you want your audience to watch a video. It could be to:
1. Share the trailer of an upcoming movie, web series, etc. via banners or billboards
2. Share ‘how to’ videos on user manuals
3. Help students in your classroom see the working of a complex mechanism such as blood circulation
4. Share a video among a group of people
All that you need to do is—create a Video QR Code, add it to your print media creatives, and add an appropriate CTA.
Remember that a CTA is important to guide the users. It clearly tells them what to do and what to expect after scanning the QR Code.
Now that you know what a Video QR Code is and how it works, the next question is—how to create one?
D. What do I need to create a Video QR Code
To do it, you will need an online Video QR Code Generator. Now, again the big question is—how to find a suitable Video QR Code generator?
You must first know what type of QR Code you want to create—static or dynamic.
Based on how the data is stored, a QR Code can be either static or dynamic. A static QR Code stores the data directly. Once created, it cannot be edited. To do that, you’ll have to create a new QR Code altogether.
On the other hand, the data is never directly stored in a dynamic QR Code. It only stores a short URL that redirects to the actual data. Hence, it can be edited anytime you want. Yet your QR Code remains the same.
In fact, a dynamic QR Code also allows you to track its scanning activity. That means you can monitor how many people have scanned your QR Code, where did each scan come from, and when did it come.
However, a static QR Code doesn’t allow you to track any such details.
So if your use case is promotional, you must create a dynamic QR Code. The analytics it offers will help you understand your audience better for more focussed campaigns in the future.
Once, you decide on which type of QR Code you need, you can go ahead to find a suitable Video QR Code generator.
If you look for one online, you’ll see a list of results. How do you then decide the best one for your use case? By comparing all of them, right?
But opening each one of the links and comparing them will take way too much effort and time.
And you don’t really need to do that. How? Well, we’ve compiled a detailed comparison chart of top QR Code generators. You can go through it to decide the best one for your use case.
E. How to create a Video QR Code
To create one, you’ll first have to upload the video on a platform to generate a link:
1. To allow public access to the video, you can upload it to sites such as YouTube, Vimeo, and Dailymotion
2. To allow only private access to the video, you can upload it to a cloud storage service such as Google Drive, Amazon S3, or Dropbox
3. Copy the sharable link to the video and head on to a QR Code generator
Using Scanova QR Code generator for a demo, here’s how you can create a Video QR Code:
1. Go to Scanova and sign-up for a 14-day free trial
2. From QR Code categories, select Website URL QR Code
3. Paste the link to your video and click Create QR Code
4. A window will pop-up prompting you to name and save the QR Code. In the same pop-up, you’ll see the options—Static and Dynamic. You can select whichever option you want. Once you fill all the details, click Save
5. Next, you will see three QR Code designs—standard black-and-white, custom with logo, and custom with background. You can proceed with either of the options
Note that a customized QR Code attracts many more scans than a black-and-white one. Hence, if your use case is promotional, you must design your QR Code.
Also, when you design your QR Code, make sure it has enough contrast with the background. That means if your QR Code is dark in color, keep the background light-colored and vice-versa. This ensures smooth scanning of the QR Code.
6. Once your QR Code is ready, say after you design it, click Update and proceed to Download it
7. A window will pop-up prompting you to specify QR Code image size and format. Once you specify the details, click Export
Note that you must ensure that the image you export is of the right size. This is important to ensure the scannability of the QR Code.
That’s it. Your video QR Code has now been created. You can add it to your print media creatives with an appropriate CTA.
F. How to edit the QR Code
You now know how a QR Code generator can help you create a Video QR Code, and the next question is—how to edit it?
You can do this only if you selected the Dynamic option while creating the QR Code. Here’s how you can edit it:
1. Login to your Scanova account
2. From the dashboard, select Saved QR Codes
3. Select the QR Code you want to make changes to
4. Make the necessary changes and click Update QR Code
That’s it. Your QR Code will be updated. No need to print it again.
That’s all you need to know about a video QR Code generator. It helps make it easier for you to share a video with your audience. They don’t need to manually type and search for anything.
They can simply scan the QR Code to access the video. This makes the whole process easier and hence, increases your conversion rate.
Still have any queries? Ask them in the comments.