You’re a product company and want to engage customers via your product packaging.
The packaging is the first thing that people see while looking at a product. So you will make your packaging attractive and offer a quality product at a competitive price.
But there are always multiple brands offering similar products with attractive packagings and at a decent price.
And you’d certainly want to stand out from the crowd. To do it, you’ll have to go a step ahead. How?
Well, the best way to do this is—by gaining customer trust.
When you gain their trust, you build customer loyalty. And that’s exactly what sustains a brand in the long run.
But the question is:
A. How to build customer loyalty
Say you go to a supermarket to buy fruit juice. And you see the shelf having similar fruit juices from five different brands at an almost similar price.
What will you then do? Probably look at product description?
That’s exactly what customers do. They look for product details before making a purchase.
Neilsen, a data analytics company for both consumers and marketers, says consumers look for transparency. They want to know as much as possible about the product. And that’s how they decide whether to make a purchase or not.
So what you need to do is—be transparent about your product. Provide in-depth details to your consumers to build their trust.
In fact, product transparency often a legal requirement in cases such as GMO-based Products.
Say you now want to provide product details. The next big question here is—
B. How to provide product details
You can provide detailed product description in two different ways:
1. By printing all the details on the packaging
You’ve seen product details printed on its packaging. That’s one way you can provide details for your product too.
But you might want to provide something more than just ingredients or functional benefits. You might also want to add a method of manufacture, an explainer video, or even images.
And there’s a problem. Product packagings have limited printing space. They keep you from printing all the details even if you want to.
What should you do then? Simply find an alternative way to give in-depth product details without consuming much printing space.
2. By taking customers to a landing page via a QR Code
You can create a landing page with all the product details. And then redirect your customers to this page.
And you don’t really need a developer to create a landing page. All that you need is—a QR Code generator.
You’ve seen 2D barcodes, also called QR Codes, on flyers and brochures for marketing. That’s not the only purpose of QR Codes. They’re used for many other use cases too.
And this is yet another way QR Codes are used. And we call it—a Product QR Code.
It does not only help you provide all the details about your product. But also saves printing space and cost.
C. What is a Product QR Code
A Product QR Code, when scanned, takes the end-users to a landing page with in-depth product details. And besides text-based details, it even allows you to share multimedia content such as images and a video.
Here’s what all information you can share via a Product QR Code:
1. Page title and text
2. Banner Images
3. Button link to your website (or link to a video or an image gallery)
4. Social media sharing buttons
D. What can I do with a Product QR Code
Here’s what you can do with a Product QR Code:
1. Provide detailed product information to buyers
Neilson says that 67% of consumers want to know everything about what goes into the products they buy. And this is especially true for food products.
Here they tend to have questions such as:
a. Is the product high in sugar?
b. Is it gluten-free?
c. Does it contain nuts?
With a Product QR Code, you can easily address all their queries.
This is how Nestle, Carrefour, and IBM partnered to ensure product transparency for retailers and customers.
2. Tell them how to use the product
Say a customer buys your product but doesn’t know how to use it. He uses it incorrectly and gets bad results. So, he ends up never buying it again.
But if you tell them how to use it, things will become better for them. And they might even like it.
A QR Code on the product can help you do just that. How?
You can encode both text-based as well as visual directions on how to use the product. For example—a cooking recipe for noodles. Or an installation guide for a gadget.
3. Show your entire product range
Say your customers like one of your products and are loyal to you. But they are unaware of other products you sell.
Here a QR Code can help you get them to check out your entire product range. Once they know what all commodities you sell, they might end up purchasing them too.
4. Spread awareness about your campaigns
Enterprises such as Nestle and PepsiCo run social campaigns that help build their brand image.
If you’re doing it too, you can use your packaging to spread awareness about your campaigns.
5. Give them exciting deals
You can even use the QR Code to offer great deals and discounts to your customers.
Popular e-commerce giant—Amazon—is doing it already. It uses its own customized QR Codes on the delivery packagings.
These QR Codes are called SmileCodes. And they are scannable only with the Amazon app. When scanned, SmileCodes offer great deals available to the user.
This is yet another way you can use a Product QR Code.
Now that you know what a Product QR Code does, make sure you add a relevant call-to-action statement with it. For example—Scan the QR Code to know more about this product. Or Scan here to check out our entire product range.
A small nudge like this will guide the users to take action.
E. How to create a Product QR Code?
You need to find a QR Code generator that allows you to create a Product QR Code.
Using Scanova QR Code generator for a demo, here is how you can create one:
1. Go to Scanova and sign-up for a 14-day free trial
2. From QR Code categories, select Product QR Code
3. Here you can start customizing the landing page by adding banner images (up to three)
4. Next, you can use the text box to add product details. You can format the text as you want, insert tables, and even images
Note that you can also add additional text boxes. Simply click Description/Information from page layout elements on the top.
Here you can also use arrow keys to adjust the position of these boxes.
5. Once you’ve added the text, move on to Add Button option. Here you can add a link to your website, a video, or even an image gallery. And accordingly, customize the button text and color
6. In case you want customers to share your product information on social media, you can help them do it. Click Social Sharing Buttons from page layout elements. Enter the text and select the social media of your choice
7. Once you’re done customizing the landing page, click View Landing Page Preview. If everything looks fine, click Create QR Code
8. You’ll see three QR Code designs—standard black-and-white, custom with logo, and custom with background. Proceed with either of them
It is a fact that customized QR Codes attract much more scans than black-and-white ones. If you want to maximize the number of scans, add design to your QR Code.
9. Once your QR Code is ready, say after you customize it, click Update and proceed to Download it
10. A pop-up will appear prompting you to specify QR Code image size and format. Once you specify the details, click Export
That’s it. Your Product QR Code has now been created.
F. How to edit Product QR Code
Say you’ve created the QR Code for one of your products and added a button to your website.
A year later, you want the button to show an explainer video. You’ll not have to create a new QR Code altogether.
You can rather edit the data encoded in the existing QR Code. How? Because a Product QR Code is dynamic in nature.
And a dynamic QR Code allows you to edit the encoded data anytime you want. Yet the QR Code remains the same. No need to mass print it again.
It even allows you to monitor its scanning activity. For example—how many people have scanned your QR Code, when and where did they do it, etc.
Here’s how you can edit your Product QR Code:
1. Go to Scanova and login to your account
2. Click Saved QR Codes and select the QR Code you want to edit
3. Make changes to the content and click Update QR Code
That’s it. Your QR Code will be updated.
That’s all you need to know about a Product QR Code. It does not only help you provide in-depth product details but also build customer loyalty.
Still have any queries? Feel free to ask them in the comments below.