What’s common between the instant messaging app Snapchat, and Indian digital wallet Paytm? Now both come with an inbuilt QR Code scanner.
How to use Paytm QR Code Scanner
Here is how you can use the Paytm QR Code scanner:
- Open the Paytm app on your Android phone. Make sure you’ve updated the app to Version 5.7.1.
- On the homepage, you will see a ‘Scan’ option on the bottom navigation bar
- Select the ‘Scan’ option to open your phone’s camera
- Point the camera at the QR Code you want to decode
- Paytm will then direct you to the information encoded in the QR Code
Paytm’s press release claims that the app can now scan QR Codes that contain URLs, contact info, and text.
However, on testing, it seemed that the app was unable to scan URL QR Codes. It gave an error saying “This QR Code cannot be used for payment.”. This seems like a bug, which Paytm should fix in its next app update.
Note that the QR Code scanning feature is currently exclusive to Android users.
It is not just Paytm and Snapchat that can boast of an inbuilt QR Code scanning feature.
Earlier in March 2017, Samsung launched it web browser, Samsung Internet which features a QR Code scanner for Android.
Before Samsung, Google Chrome had introduced an inbuilt QR Code scanner which caters to iOS users.
What do you think of the Paytm QR Code scanner? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.