You’re probably working in the healthcare sector. It could be a hospital, diagnostic laboratory, rehab, or any other healthcare facility.
And you need to ensure smooth business operations. From serving patients to ensuring enough supplies, you need to take care of everything.
Hence, you need secure ID cards for them. These ID cards must not only have the staff’s details but also be easy to authenticate.
And unlike the traditional ID cards, they must not be easy to duplicate.
So, you are looking for a more secure solution. And QR Codes have got you covered.
In this article, we will show you how QR Codes can make your identity cards more secure, and easy to access.
A. QR Code-based healthcare IDs
QR Code-based ID cards help you add the stakeholder’s details such as name, contact number, registration ID, etc. in the QR Code. When scanned using a smartphone, the users can see all the encoded details.
And here are some reasons what makes QR Code-based ID cards better:
- First, they cannot be duplicated. Even if someone tries to edit the printed details on the card, they cannot change the encoded content in the QR Code
- Second, QR Codes can resist damage by up to 30%. That is, even if the QR Code is subject to slight wear-and-tear, it will still hold its scanning capabilities
- Third, you can even personalize the design of your QR Code. That means you can add your company’s colors, logo, or background image to the QR Code
- Finally, you only need a smartphone to scan the QR Code. No need to install any expensive setup to do the job
You now know why it makes sense to use QR Code-based ID cards. Let’s now see who can use these ID cards.
B. Who can you use QR Code-based healthcare IDs
There are 3 chief stakeholders here:
You can encode the patient’s information in the QR Code. It could be their name, age, medical condition, disease, etc.
Whenever someone scans this QR Code, they’ll be able to see all the patient details right away.
2. Staff ID
It is very common for healthcare staff members to wear an identity card. This may be for attendance tracking or authentication purposes. But responsible personnel have to manually authenticate each card. This is a long and tedious process.
But QR Codes have got you covered. Just place them on staff ID cards and responsible personnel can scan them to validate their presence.
Moreover, you can also add their qualification details into them and patients can scan them to view these details. This can help build trust among patients and their close ones.
3. Visitor ID
Similarly, you can also add QR Codes to visitor IDs to validate their entry. This can ensure a steady and smooth flow of visitor management in your healthcare facility.
C. Examples of organizations using QR Code-based healthcare IDs
1. Delhi government
The Delhi government, in India, is introducing a QR Code-based health card. This can help citizens easily access public healthcare facilities. This card has citizens’ basic clinical details.
This health card would be linked to the government’s ambitious cloud-based Health Information Management System (HIMS). It could contain information such as the location of public healthcare facilities, availability of beds in government hospitals, doctors’ qualification, and medicines in stores.
With these health cards, doctors can provide personalized healthcare services and include any new diagnosis in the card.
LogBox, a start-up from South Africa allows patients to store their medical history in a QR Code. This not only offers a contactless experience but also gets rid of excess paperwork. This app is available on both Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
3. Dingxiang Community
In Jun 2014, Dingxiang Community in Hefei City gave 1,400 QR Code badges to senior citizens. When scanned, this QR Code provides the wearer’s details such as name, address, and contact number.
D. How to create QR Code-based healthcare IDs
Since you’d need to create QR Codes for many people, it won’t be feasible for you to create QR Codes one by one. Hence, you’d need a QR Code generator that allows you to create QR Codes in bulk.
You can head on to any search engine and find the best one for yourself.
Bulk QR Code generator
Using QR Batch here to demonstrate how to generate QR Codes for healthcare IDs:
1. Create a spreadsheet containing all the information to be added to the tags in CSV, XLS, or XLSX format
Note that the first column should be ‘Filename’. And second column onwards, the information would vary depending on the type of QR Codes you create. Here’s a detailed guide on how to create a spreadsheet.
2. Go to QR Batch and sign-up
3. Now, depending on what content you want your end-users to see, select the QR Code category
For example, if you want to encode contact information, you’d have to select VCard QR Code
4. On the page that loads, upload the spreadsheet and click Review Data
5. Now, match the columns from the drop-down menu with those in the spreadsheet and click Confirm
6. Once you’ve reviewed the data, click Next
7. Now, you’ll see three design options to choose from—Standard Design, Custom Logo Design, and Custom Background Design
Standard Design: It is the generic black-and-white QR Code.
Custom Logo Design: It allows you to add a logo and color to your QR Codes.
Custom Background Design: It helps you place your QR Code on an image.
8. After finalizing the design, click Select
9. A window will open prompting you to name the QR Code Batch and specify the export options
10. After you specify the details, proceed ahead
11. On the page that loads, click Proceed To Payment. Once you complete it, your batch of QR Codes will start getting processed
12. After it gets processed, you’ll receive an email attached with a zip file containing the QR Codes
Alternatively, you’ll also be able to download the batch from the My Batches section on your account dashboard.
Now you know why it makes sense to use QR Code-based healthcare IDs. So don’t wait up and make your healthcare system safe and secure by creating QR Codes for your use case.