You all know what QR Codes are—advanced barcodes that are easily scannable using a smartphone.
For the uninitiated, QR Codes are of two types—Static and Dynamic. Static QR Codes are basic QR Codes while Dynamic QR Codes have more functionality.
The two QR Codes are very different from each other. And are used for different use cases.
And in this article, we will discuss Static QR Codes in detail.
A. What are Static QR Codes?
If the QR Code itself stores the target content, then it is a Static QR Code. The content could be a serial code, text message, URL, Wi-Fi password, or contact details.
A Static QR Code has the following characteristics:
1. Static QR Codes are permanent
The content stored in a Static QR Code is permanent. That is, once the content is encoded, it cannot be edited or updated.
Upon scanning, Static QR Codes will show the same content always.
2. Static QR Codes are non-trackable
Unlike a Dynamic QR Code, a Static code is an independent entity. It is not tied to any service. But, if you encode a URL in a Static QR Code, you can then track this URL via Google Analytics using UTM parameters.
Plus, in general, a QR Code can store 7,089 characters. The more data you add, the denser the QR Code will become.
For example, a Static Business Card QR Code can be encoded with contact details such as:
- Phone number
- Company name
Since the information is directly encoded in a QR Code, the QR Code will become dense.
B. What content can you store in a Static QR Code
A Static QR Code can store the following content:
- URL: Leads the user to a web page
- Text: Display simple text such as message, promo code, or serial code
- Contact Details: Displays contact information and allows users to save you as a contact
- Wifi Credentials: Android devices can access Wifi network. iOS devices can view network name and password
- Maps location: Shows location on Google Maps
- Calendar Event: Prompts user to save an event (with details) to their phone calendar
- Phone number: Prompts user to dial the number
- Email Address: Open mail application with your email in the recipient field
- Bitcoin Address: Displays your Bitcoin wallet address
- PayPal Payment: Redirects to a PayPal page that prompts the user to send you a payment
You can either encode content directly, or link Static QR Codes to a webpage.
C. Advantages of using Static QR Codes
Here is why you can use Static QR Codes:
1. Good internet connection not a prerequisite
Since Static QR Codes can encode information directly, they necessarily may not contain web content.
Thus for Static QR Codes such as serial Code QR Code and text message, you do not require internet connections (Wifi or mobile data) to access the information encoded. You just need to scan the QR Code via your smartphone and see the content.
2. You can create Static QR Codes in bulk
Say you need more than hundred QR Codes for your use case. You cannot create QR Codes one-by-one. It will consume a lot of your time and effort.
With a professional bulk QR Code generator tool such as QR Batch, you can create thousands of Static QR Codes easily.
3. Add design to your QR Code
Just like Dynamic QR Codes, you can customize Static QR Code too. You can add your company’s logo, change the background color and image, change the pattern of data modules and eyes, amongst others.
In other words, you can easily convert Static QR Codes in a piece of artwork.
D. Where can you use Static QR Codes
From general to promotional purposes— Static QR Code can be used everywhere. And since you can create Static QR Code in bulk easily, here are some use cases:
1. For Management and Engagement
You can use QR Codes in the following use cases:
a. Inventory Management
You can create Static QR Code to manage your inventory efficiently. You can create and paste the QR Code on every product.
b. Product Packaging
You can create a Static QR Code to provide detailed information about your product. For example, if you are a food and beverage company, you can use Static QR Code to provide information about GMO ingredients.
c. Product Catalogue
You can use Static QR Code in your product catalogue to provide more information or interesting facts. This way you can engage your customers better.
d. Event Management
You can use Static QR Code in bulk to manage your events better. For example, if its a large scale event, you can put the QR Code on various spots containing the event schedule.
You can also create QR Code based delegate cards. And store the delegate’s contact details. This will be in networking better— exhibitors/delegates can efficiently network with the attendees.
2. For Business and Marketing
Here is how you can use Static QR Code for your business:
a. For your business Card
You can create VCard Static QR Code and encode your contact details. Upon scanning, the end users will directly be able to save you as a contact in their phonebook. That is, all the manual work in saving a contact will be eliminated.
This will help you build your network more efficiently
b. For your employee identity card
You can create Static QR Codes in bulk for your employees. Similar to QR Code based business card, you can store contact details (such as name, employee code, designation).
Upon scanning via a smartphone, the details of the respective employee will appear. This will ensure authentic entries in your workspace.
Besides, you can also use Static QR Codes on a gift card, in games and entertainment (Scavenger Hunt), and a number of other areas.
c. Present additional work
Similarly, you can also use static QR Codes to manage projects or to showcase your unique work such as mobile apps, project documents, designs, or articles
But make sure you add a suitable caption with the QR Code image. It will help explain to the audience what the QR Code links to.
For example, say you are a content writer and have added one of your articles to the QR Code. A simple help note such as ‘Scan to read my article’ will help the end-users know what action to take.
Similarly, if you are a creative professional such as a graphic designer, you can link your artworks to QR Codes.
E. How to create Static QR Code
In order to create QR Codes, you need a QR Code generator tool or a bulk QR Code generator to create QR Codes in bulk.
Using Scanova for demo purposes, here are some steps that you need to follow:
1. Go to Scanova QR Code Generator and login
You can find the subscription details on this page.
2. Choose the category of QR Codes that suit your purpose best.
Note that the following QR Code types can only be Dynamic:
- App Store QR Code: Single QR Code for all app store links (iPhone, iPad, Android, etc.) of a mobile app
- Social Media QR Code: Single QR Code leading to a page with links to all your social media pages
- Dynamic Business Card QR Code: QR Code leading to a personal web page with all your contact details
- Coupon QR Code: QR Code leading to a customizable coupon for your brand promotions
For demo purposes, we will be using Website URL QR Code
How to create Static Website URL QR Code
3. Select the category of Website URL QR Code
4. On the page that loads, you can encode the URL you want to encode and click Continue
5. Once done, you will be asked to specify the name of the QR Code and click on the category of Static.
6. Now, click Create a QR Code
7. On the page that loads, you will have two design options to choose from:
- Custom logo design: It allows you to add a logo and colors to it
- Custom background design: It helps you add a background image to the QR Code
If your use case is marketing or promotional, it is recommended that you add design to your QR Code.
Customized QR Codes attract 50-200% more scans.
8. Once decided on the design, click on Done Editing followed by downloading the Code
9. A window will open prompting you to specify the QR Code size and format. Once done, click on Export
Your Static QR Code will be created. Note that once generated, you can use it for as long as you want. No need to worry about renewing your subscription.
In case you require Static QR Code in bulk, refer to this detailed guide.
So, there are a lot of areas where you can use Static QR Codes. Create Static QR Codes now to manage work efficiently and network better.