QR Codes today are being used across industries and for diverse use cases. These 2D barcodes can easily be scanned via a smartphone and are thus becoming increasingly popular.
One of the most popular applications is the use of QR Codes in payments. QR Code-based payments are quick, easy, secure, and reliable. And they are facilitated by various apps such as Paytm, PhonePe, and Google Pay.
Among all, Paytm is the most widely used app for QR Code payments in India. It provides cashless payments in a safe and secure environment. You must have made a transaction using Paytm in grocery stores, shopping malls, or to pay for your Uber ride.
Besides, with the app, you can shop at Paytm mall, buy air and train tickets, book movie shows, and do loads of other things.
In this article, we will tell you all you need to know about QR Code payments through Paytm.
A. How to make payments through Paytm
Through Paytm, you can send and receive money easily. And there are multiple ways through which you can make a transaction. In this section we will detail on all the ways.
But before you make a transaction, you should have sufficient balance in your Paytm wallet. You can recharge it through traditional methods such as credit card/ debit card or net banking. Once done, you can pay by either of the two methods:
a. By scanning a Paytm QR Code
Say you are at a grocery store. And the store accepts payments through Paytm. So, in order to pay for the items you bought through the store, you need to follow some simple steps:
1. Open the Paytm app in your smartphone.
2. Now, tap on the Pay or Send option in the left hand corner.
3. The scanner will now launch. Now, bring the scanner close to the QR Code provided by the merchant.
4. Once the scanner detects the QR Code, you will be landed on the payment page. Here, you will be able to see the merchant detail (probably the name).
5. Now, specify the amount to be paid. You can also add comments, if any, which is optional. Once done, tap on Pay.
6. Once the transaction is successful, you will receive a confirmation on the screen. Plus, you will also receive an instant message on your phone once the transaction is complete.
This way you can easily make a payment through Paytm at your local grocery shop, petrol pumps, restaurants, and other areas. Once you pay, the respective amount will be deducted from your wallet.
Please note that even if you don’t have sufficient balance in your wallet, you will be prompted to add money during the transaction without navigating away.
b. By scanning a UPI QR Code
You can also make UPI payments through Paytm by scanning a UPI Code. The steps, which you need to follow to launch the scanner are similar to the one mentioned above (payment by scanning the Paytm QR Code).
So, once the scanner detects the QR Code, you will be prompted to the payment page. Here, specify the amount and choose the option to pay through the UPI-linked bank account.
It will then take you to the UPI interface. Here, you will be required to enter your UPI security PIN. Once done, click on the Submit button.
Your payment will get confirmed. And the payable amount which was entered in the previous step will get deducted from your linked bank account.
Once the payment is successful, you will also receive a SMS from the bank confirming the deduction.
B. How to receive payments through Paytm
In this section, we will brief on the way through which you can receive payment through Paytm:
a. Through Paytm wallet QR Code
Each account has a QR Code associated with it. To find this QR Code on your Paytm app go to My Profile. Here, you will see the QR Code icon on the right hand corner.
In order to receive payments, here are the steps you need to follow:
1. Go to Paytm and here click on the Accept Payment option on your dashboard.
2. Here, click on Show Paytm QR Code option. Your Paytm QR Code will be displayed.
Once you see the placard, take a screenshot. You can now email the image to yourself and take a print out for a clear QR Code image.
Please note that this option will only be available if you have the latest version of the Android app i.e. v5.5.12 and above.
Once the other person makes the transaction, the balance will be added to your Paytm wallet.
You can also receive payment through your registered Paytm mobile number. The person making the payment just needs to have this contact and can make a transaction sitting at home/office or on-the-go.
C. Paytm QR Code Scanner
Paytm scanner has the capability to scan any QR Code. That is, other than the Paytm QR Code, the scanner can scan generic QR Codes, which have URLs, contact info, and text encoded.
To launch the scanner, you need to follow the same steps of making payment by scanning QR Codes (explained above in section A).
For more information, you can refer to this detailed guide on Paytm QR Code scanner.
D. How to generate Paytm QR Code for retailers and shopkeepers
For merchants and retailers who want to introduce digital payments, can do so with Paytm. They just need to download the Paytm for business app and generate their QR Code. Here are the steps, which need to be followed:
1. Install Paytm for business on your smartphone. Once installed, click on Sign Up for free.
2. Now, enter your Name and PAN or Aadhar Number.
3. Next, fill in your business and bank details.
4. Once you are logged in, you can tap on Order QR Code sticker.
5. Now, tap on Show QR Code. Your QR Code will be generated. You can also share this QR Code on messaging apps.
6. Last, you need to click on Activate QR Code at the bottom of your screen.
You can now print this QR Code and place it on a convenient place such as on a glass stand at your shop. This way, you can receive cashless payments quickly and easily.
Paytm All-In-One QR
The QR Code you generate using the Paytm for business app is your ultimate All-In-One-QR-Code.
It has the following features:
- The QR Code accepts all payment modes such as Paytm wallet, UPI apps, credit/debit cards, EMI, and net banking. That is, the QR Code acts as a single point of reconciliation for all your payments
- With the QR Code, you can monitor key metrics and view analytics. The data will prove essential for your business and growth. You can see the data by clicking on Home option on your dashboard
- You can also manage your account. That is, you can view payments, bank settlements, initiate refunds, manage disputes, and download reports. This can be accessed by clicking on the Transaction option on your dashboard
Hence the All-In-One-QR provides an impetus for you to grow your business.
Thus, this all you need to know about Paytm QR Code payments. As of now, more than 15 crore customers are signed up with Paytm and are using the app for diverse purposes.
More than 8 lakh merchants are accepting Paytm payments, and the count is only increasing with each passing day. Grocery stores, parking, chemist shops, cabs, tea stalls, restaurants, petrol pumps, and gas and milk Booths—all accept Paytm Payments.
Payments through the app are secure as all the payment information is encrypted. Hence, it is one of the most reliable payment gateways used by people today.